Monday, May 13, 2013

This I Believe - Draft


This I Believe

 

            Throughout my life I have experienced many things, these experiences created situations that demanded choices. Although I didn’t always make the right choices, I believe it was for my future betterment. “We are our choices” a famous quote by philosopher Jean-Paul Sarte, may be true for some, but I believe differently. I believe “We are our change” because the choices I made in the past don’t represent who I am today.

 

            One specific example is from Intermediate School. I was in my Language Arts class, and for some reason I decided to make a sarcastic comment on the way a girl looked. She didn’t really think of it much because I guess she was “used to it”. Now that I think of it, it was really mean, but it’s the change that defines me, and part of that change came through Saturday detention.

 

            Punishment is almost always a part of my learning process. Though not preferred, it works. The other half comes after; realization. This portion consists of self-reflection, and eventual self-improvement. Emotionally, this was very hard for me because it made me realize what I had done. I kept wondering why, and couldn’t come to a conclusion. This was definitely not me.

 

            My newly evaluated character was soon tested years later, in High School. By that time my friends had become a big part of my life and greatly influenced what I did. No, my friends aren’t “bad kids”, they just haven’t gone through the same experiences as I did, and therefore didn’t learn the same lessons. I remember a time when they were teasing someone, and it didn’t make me feel very good. Not only did I avoid participating, I actually stood up to them. This was definitely me.

 

            Being tested, reassured my choice to change. I used the knowledge I gained to teach others, and hopefully they did the same. I was the change.

 

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world” – Mahatma Gandhi

 

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the rough draft. What I would like to see is more elaboration on the "now" and why this small event in middle school changed your entire outlook because for some detention might not be a big deal or life changing event. MS(3+)

    ReplyDelete